Sunday, May 9, 2010

Flowers for Mother's Day and a sale

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. One day certainly isn't enough to set aside and celebrate for all we do but we'll take it and make the most out of it. These aren't the typical flowers you might receive on Mother's Day but they certainly are one of my favorites. Yesterday I attended one of Tim Holtz's Ideology classes and I can't even begin to tell you how much fun I had. I am still on cloud nine from the experience. Remember in one of my last posts I told you about the night I was going to register on-line for one of his classes and I wanted to be ready as soon as the registration opened up at 7:00 PM. We were in Florida and I had my son and hubby waiting to go out to dinner but we couldn't go until I was registered. I had to throw them a few crackers to hold them over. Well it is a good thing I kept them waiting because I was told yesterday that the class sold out in 19 minutes. I looked around to see how many were in the class and I know there were at least 75 people there. Tim really knows how to draw a crowd (and get paid good $ for it).

We started off the class by making these shabby flowers. Tim and his assistants had all the pieces cut ahead of time for us and each project was in it's own little package so all we had to do was put it together. There were three projects and we completed them in 2 hours. I will be sharing the other two with you later this week.



The flowers were created with several layers of different material including upholstery, burlap, silk, lace table cloth and grunge board. There were all cut with Tim's new Tattered Florals Sizzix die and one of his vintage buttons. It was very quick and simple and the layers were pulled together with linen thread up through the layers and the button and then back down for a knot in the back. This one has a clasp on the back so I could wear it on my shirt. After the class I went to the Mega Meet show to shop and was the envy of several other shoppers who were dying to know where I got it from.

Tim commented that you can cut up to 5 layers of thin material with this die. He showed us a flower he made out of blue jeans and it was awesome. Of course he could show us anything and we would think it was awesome-right! He then went to his booth at the show and did demos the entire afternoon. I found him and his staff to be very friendly and down to earth. I really enjoyed his charisma and the creative inspiration he provides.

On a second note, I am very sad to report that I got a message from Joanne at THE STAMP CASTLE and she has decided to close her store. I really enjoyed working with her and I know this wasn't an easy decision for her but the economy has made it's impact. Right now she is offering 25% off everything in the store while supplies last until the end of the month.

Well it sounds like the rest of the family is waking up so I better put my crown on and get ready to eat bonbons.
Have fun and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment