Saturday, May 22, 2010

Just for you Dad

Well the rain has cleared and it is time to get out into the garden. What is it about smell of clean and refreshed after a good rain. That has got to be one of my all time favorite smells. Right up there with baby powder, fresh brewed coffee, cut grass and a bonfire. Chocolate is a gimme!
I think I am up for a mess in the garden with the wet dirt but it has to be done. I have neglected the flower beds for a few weeks now and if I don't get to them, my neighbors will think I have become a weed horticulturist.

It was my father's birthday last month and this was the card he received with a gift card to his favorite family diner. He enjoys the taste of a home cooked meal and the company he has when he visits his favorite restaurant. Throughout their marriage my mother did all the cooking and now that she is no longer with us, my father has learned to eat his own creations or should I say Stoffers. On a side note- I remember my mother telling me that when I was two and she was in the hospital having my sister, my father took care of me and he cooked the only thing he knew how to; eggs. I was fed eggs cooked every conceivable way and most likely some unconventional ways I am sure. It must have been a long week and hence I didn't eat eggs again until I was an adult.

My father lives 10 hours from us so dropping in for dinner here at our house isn't very realistic. He has become friends with the owners of the restaurant who will actually be a part of the extended family when their daughter marries my cousin's son. Being so far away from him, it comforts me to give him something that adds a little joy to his life. I know he misses my mother deeply and since I can't be there to visit him regularly this at least helps to fill the loneliness. I don't think we will ever get him to move closer to one of us kids. His home is where he and my mother spent their lives together and he enjoys spending the summer at their cottage which is only a 40 minute drive from their home. I am looking forward to seeing him in two weeks at a family wedding- boy the old man can still dance.

Well the weeds and earthworms are calling so I better get going. I hope you all have a wonderful week. As I had stated in my last post- I was going to do an altered book on the architecture from a recent trip. I soon realized that the shape of books I had purchased for the stamp club weren't the right dimensions and I would need a much taller book. I still created a book of "Doors" but with post cards of doors a dear friend Kay had given me. It turned out totally awesome if I do say so myself. I will take pictures of the book tomorrow and post pictures later in the week.

Have fun and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment