Sunday, February 27, 2011

A mirror update

Ok, as promised here are a couple of pictures of the mini bathroom makeover. I guess I should call it a mini update. We did the makeover two years ago by painting and putting granite counters on as well as new sinks and faucets. This current update included sprucing up the mirrors and making them a bit more modern. We added frames around the mirrors and it was easy as pie. One of our easiest projects we have taken on. Before my husband had his stroke, we (he) did all kinds of home improvements from building a beautiful 2 tier deck to painting, to putting in a gas fireplace and building the hearth and mantle. He had also built a few pieces of furniture. These days not so much. The detail he once paid such close attention to, just isn't there. His motto now is "no body will notice". Maybe not, but I notice and it drives me crazy. Not so much because of noticing the imperfections but because I remember the way things used to be. He was only 43 when he had his stroke and in the past 6 years, I still find myself thinking of what our life would be like if he hadn't had the stroke. I know, that doesn't get me anywhere and it isn't healthy, but there are those days when I can't help but look back. Ok enough self pity- back to the update.

This bathroom was one of the selling points for me when we bought the house. The walls were a very pale pale blue with grayish blue formica counter tops. It was the space that I liked and I was able to look past the previous owner's color pallet. The new counter tops and paint really made the difference but the mirrors need a little TLC. Below are some before and after pictures.

BEFORE



AFTER


BEFORE



AFTER














It sure makes it a bit easier to look in the mirror at this poor tired face each morning. I loved how they turned out. I don't think the pictures do them real justice. I still am not used to how the frames pulled that wall in. The bathroom doesn't seem quite as spacious but it was large enough that it could withstand it. It now seems a bit richer and warmer to me.

Today I have someone coming to give me a quote to paint my kitchen cabinets and island. Right now they are maple frost and I hated the tinge of pink I saw in them when I first walked in the house. There are 36 cabinet doors and 11 drawers. It would cost a fortune to replace them so when we moved in we put on granite counters to help draw your eyes away from them. With Elliot still in school and the cabinets being in excellent condition, I can't see replacing them yet. My next best option is to paint them. I am thinking cream with brown glaze in the grooves and the island black. This painter sprays them and that is exactly the finish I wanted. Lets just see if I can handle the sticker price. I have absolutely no idea how much this is going to cost. Wish me luck.

~Have fun and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment